Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Don't Check Your Brains At the Door

Do you ever wonder why you believe what you believe?  Is it because your parents believed it?  Your Sunday School teacher taught it to you?  Your pastor told you it was true?  If you can answer "yes" to any of those questions, this book might be what you're looking for.  Josh McDowell, internationally known speaker and author of more than 130 books and Bob Hostetler, author and pastor, discuss 42 common myths pertaining to God, Jesus, the Bible, the resurrection, religion and Christianity,and life and happiness.  Along with each myth, McDowell and Hostetler convey a real life example and then lead the reader to discover what the Bible has to say about the myth.  At the close of each "chapter", a section entitled "Brain Food" is included which encourages the reader to dig into the Bible with short scripture texts and answer a question or two about what you have read.  Each chapter is short, easy to read, and could very well be used as a devotion with older children and young teens.

When I ordered Don't Check Your Brains At The Door, I was anticipating a book similar to what this is but I did expect the book to address some of the more difficult and challenging questions I might get from my 16 and 18 year old.  Way too many of my beliefs stem from what my parents taught me and now those are the types of questions my children are asking such as "Why does skin color or differences in faith or denomination matter when you choose your spouse?" or "Why should I dress up to go to church?  Does God care what I wear?".  Did I expect too much from one book?  Perhaps.  McDowell and Hostetler do address some very prevalent world opinions but I do feel that this book is best suited for children from the ages of 10 to 16, younger children if done alongside an adult.  After reading, your child will have a better understanding of why they believe as they do and be able to defend his/her beliefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment