Monday, February 20, 2012

Unlocked

I have just read a book that brought about every emotion I have--laughter, tears, anger.....Holden Harris is locked inside the world of autism.  Every day is the same with the same routine which includes watching a movie of his childhood.  He hasn't touched or spoken to his parents since he was three.  However, his world begins to change when he responds to the music of his High School's production of Beauty and the Beast  starring his childhood friend, Ella whom he also hasn't seen since he was three years old.   Even locked in his own world, Ella understands Holden more than anyone has since he was diagnosed.  Does Ella hold the key of bringing a sense of "normalcy" to Holden's life?

Thank you, Karen Kingsbury, for yet another touching story.  I must say I have never read a Kingsbury book that I didn't love and Unlocked is no exception.  If you are a teacher or the parent of an autistic child, this is a must read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment