Monday, July 9, 2012

Feeling like an outsider

Author Ken Gire, like all of us at times throughout our lives, has spent much of his life feeling like an outsider. Why? He isn't quite certain but he did grab my attention when he mentioned that he thought part of the issue might be that he was a redhead and wore glasses. For those of you who are not a redhead, that blessing isn't perceived as such until much later in life. And being a child with glasses, well that can really make you stand out so having both those characteristics is a recipe for insecurity. Anyway, I have long wondered if I were the only one with those feelings of being on the outside looking in. Why do we tend to feel that way? We are flawed and don't feel worthy of love and belonging. However, we all long for a place to belong, where we fit in and are valued. Well, the wonderful news is that God wants us and He will go to whatever measure necessary to get us to turn our hearts toward Him. Need a still small voice? He can be the gentle breeze. Need to be shaken? He can be the roaring lion. Regardless, God is persistent and patient. Just as in Jesus' parable of the one lost sheep, the Shepherd will leave the safely kept 99 to find and bring into safety the one that is lost. If 99% of your life you have given to God, he loves you enough to pursue the 1% you haven't turned over to Him. Perhaps you don't find that comforting but I certainly do! So what happens after you turn to God? Does He cease to pursue? Not at all! His purpose for pursuit is just different but His pursuit has actually just begun. He works in our lives in ways we often can't see to help us become the person He created us to be and making us more like Christ. Using examples from his life as well lives of several well known Christians such as CS Lewis and Francis Thompson, Gire demonstrates how God loves us too much to allow us to be on the outside looking in. He is gentle and loving in His pursuit but He doesn't give up. Each relatively short chapter is followed by several discussion questions perfect for personal reflection or small group discussion. This is my first read by author Ken Gire but I don't plan for it to be my last. He was able to uncover for me why I have those feelings of being on the outside looking in but he didn't stop there. Through his examples and testimony, he helped me discover how much I am loved by my heavenly Father. I did receive this book free from Bethany House Publishers and was not required to leave a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment