Monday, August 4, 2014

Roadfood

Most people like to eat out much more than I. I am always ready for a good meal but would much rather eat a good home cooked meal than sit at a restaurant even if the home meal is tacos and the restaurant meal filet mignon. There are times, however, that eating out is essential whether to be with friends or because you are traveling and it is impossible to cook.

When those occasions do make it necessary, I would much rather avoid the chain restaurants and find some good local spot. Asking locals where to eat is an option at times but not always. That is where Roadfood by Jane and Michael Stern comes in. The two have compiled a coast to coast listing of 900 of the best "BBQ joints, lobster shacks, ice cream parlors, highway diners, and much, much more."  What I love about the book isn't the handy portable size as it is 2" thick. I do love how it is broken down by geographic region, personable reviews of and suggestions for each site, includes a phone number and website so you can check for hours ahead of time as well as a street address so you can plug it into your GPS. The Sterns also give you an indication as to how much you can be expected to spend.

What might make it better? I typically don't travel nationwide but do a lot of travel in the southeast. For my purposes, I would find it better to have a more complete listing in the regions in which I travel rather than half of the book being dedicated to places I don't ever expect to go. However, if you are planning to travel coast to coast, this would be a handy thing to take along in your car. I did receive this book free from the publisher in exchange for am honest review and was in no way obligated to write a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment