Friday, October 2, 2015

On This Foundation

On This Foundation #3  -     By: Lynn Austin

As a small child, Nehemiah is present when a trusted acquaintance enters his home, killing his parents. Twenty-eight years later, he now serves as cupbearer to King Artaxerxes when Jerusalem's wall is destroyed, leaving the city and the temple unprotected, and he feels compelled to do something about it, making sure that they city and temple bore witness to the One true God.  When he left Susa, Nehemiah would never have dreamed of the challenges and opposition that awaited him.  Only through God's protection would he even live long enough to fulfill his mission, much less do so in only fifty-two days.  Will God answer his prayer and remember Nehemiah with favor?

If you have never read Lynn Austin, this series is an excellent place to start. I'm sorry that I have a bit of a hole in my reading of it, having read book one (Return to Me  and makes the  top of my sister's list of favorite books) and now book three but, while somewhat of a continuous story, I didn't feel that I was at a disadvantage having skipped book two (Keepers of the Covenant) in understanding the third.  However, finishing On This Foundation definitely makes me want to go back and pick up Keepers of the Covenant.

As always, Lynn Austin's writing is rich in history, well documented and does not stray from the Biblical account.  If you are looking for a quick, easy read, she probably isn't for you but there are few Christian fiction writers who write with so much "meat" and leave you with so much to think about.  I have never read any Lynn Austin novels that I didn't love and this one is no exception.  There probably is no better author of historical fiction.

I did receive this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review and am in no way obligated to leave a positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment