Saturday, March 19, 2016

West Point historical fiction





Lucinda Pennyworth is alone.  Her mother died years ago and her father has died unexpectedly.  The only family she has to turn to is her mothers, people she has never met.  While she hopes they will take her in, she find her parents didn't leave home under the best of circumstances nor was her father quite the man she thought and relatives aren't as willing to welcome her in initially as she once hoped. Lucinda wants nothing more than to turn over a new leaf and find a cadet to marry but circumstances present themselves that make that more difficult than it should be in a new place.

Seth Westcott is a cadet at West Point and one of the first people Lucinda meets when trying to she arrived to attempt to build a life there.  Seth's mother has just passed away as well and his need to go out west to take care of his sister and their land weighs heavily on his mind but the army won't allow him to go as a man in the top of his class but his determination leads him on a path I would call deceitful with his unlikely schemes.

If I have read anything else by Siri Mitchell, I don't remember it.  Flirtation Walk  was an easy read with characters who were well developed and interesting.  I love historical fiction so that is what initially drew me to this pre-Civil War romance. Written in first person, Flirtation Walk  alternated between Lucinda's point of view and Seth's.   While it won't be listed in my list of top favorite historical fiction, I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style and reading about the time period and places steeped in history.  I found it interesting that while others may not have gone to the extreme measures Seth did to get what they wanted, there were men such as J.E.B. Stuart who altered their behavior to get an assignment that was more desirable to them.

Bottom line--enjoyable, covers a time period and place not often addressed, and I am glad I received the book from the publisher for an honest review.  I am in no way obligated to write a positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment