Thursday, March 29, 2018

Historical fiction you won't want to put down

A Most Noble Heir  -     By: Susan Anne Mason

There is not a doubt in his mind that Nolan will be able to fulfill his dying mother's wishes to marry the kitchen maid, Hannah, and make a life for the two of them.  He is the money saved to purchase a farm so that both of them can leave Stainsby Hall.  All the arrangements are made.  However, the one shocking piece of information he receives is that his father is the Earl of Stainsby and Nolan is his rightful heir.  From stable boy to heir, Nolan's life becomes quite complicated but his love for Hannah doesn't exactly fit into his father's plans.

Susan Mason is a new author for me but I was drawn right into the story. Her writing style is easy to follow and the pictures she paints with her words allowed me to see the manor, small towns, and countryside of England as I read through the story. Several times, I was a bit surprised by the turn of events which is quite refreshing that the story wasn't so predictable.  I also loved Hannah and Nolan's simple faith that was expressed throughout the story--not preachy at all but very believable and sweet. 

While this book doesn't appear to be one of a series, I think the author could easily open it up to be so.  Nolan enters a world where he has the siblings he has never experienced so perhaps Mason will choose one of them as a main character for her next book?

I loved the story--a page turner, a bit of mystery/suspense, love, conflict...it has it all.  I have no hesitation in recommending this title to anyone who loves historical fiction and/or Christian fiction.  Two thumbs up!

Thank you Bethany House for providing this book for review.  I was in no way obligated to write a positive one.

No comments:

Post a Comment